I loved K is for Kick and P is for Putt so, it's natural that I'd like S Is for S'Mores: A Camping Alphabet! As with the other books in the series, there is catchy text associated with each letter of the alphabet in addition to several facts about camping. Here are some more fun activities to try:
- Trail Mix S'mores: Mix mini marshmallows, teddy grahams, and mini chocolate chip cookies in a bag and you have all of the fixings (without the mess) for the perfect s'more!
- Animal Collage: Make a collage of animals that you might see while camping.
- Map It: Mark the National Parks on a map of the United States.
- Pop Up Tent: Add a small pop up tent to housekeeping or block area. Add a few props such as blankets, flashlights, sleeping bags etc
- Starry Night: Buy glow in the dark stars to put around your classroom (particularly on the ceiling) and turn off the lights to pretend you are camping under the stars.
- Coloring Pages and Patterns: Use these coloring pages to enhance the theme. Children can color them or teachers can use them to create bulletin boards or concept activities.
- S is for S'more and C is for Camping: Print and color 2 tent patterns. On one tent, write the letter S and on the other, write the letter C. Have a variety of pictures or objects that begin with the letters C and S. Children sort the objects by placing them on top of the correct tent.
- North, South, East, and West: Teach children to use a compass.
- Camp Fire: Make logs by wrapping paper towel tubes in brown construction paper. Use red, yellow and orange tissue paper "flames" to add to the logs. Add a small mini-flashlight under the "fire" to make it glow! Large white cotton balls attached to the end of the stick make great "marshmallows!"
- Nature Sounds: Play a CD of nature sounds such as Echoes of Nature: American Wilds.
- Camp Fire Stories: Have children bring sleeping bags. Sit around the pretend campfire, turn out the lights (remember to have your Starry Sky ready), eat your s'more trailmix and tell camping stories.
More Camping Books