Here in Baltimore, we have a wonderful organization, Baltimore Reads, that hosts Book for Kids Day every spring. Teachers, schools, children, and families benefit from the monetary and book donations made by members of our community. I am asking all of my readers to do one thing to help get books in the hand of a child/family in need. Here are some ideas:
- Call your local literacy organizations and ask them how you can help.
- Donate your gently used children's books to a school in a low-income neighborhood. I'm sure there is always a teacher who will be grateful for them.
- Look for a non-profit or family child care center in your area and ask if they need book donations.
- Contact a local women and children's shelter and ask them if they are in need of any book donations.
- Start your own book drive and donate books to a local foster home or other agency in need.
Product Give Away:Comment below to tell us what you are doing to help children in your community get access to books. A random winner will be selected to win two sets of Counting Cards from Child Up.