Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Desert Island Book Collection

Cathy of Reflect and Refine poses this question: If you were stranded on an island and had to teach, what 10 picture books would you hope to have in your bag?

I've been thinking about this question for a little over a week now...and I've come up with at least 850 books that I would want NEED to bring with me. So, how do I whittle this list of mine down to 10? I think,with a LOT of  thought (thanks Cathy!!!), I've come up with a list. But I must warn you...I am hurriedly writing this blog because by the time I finish typing, my 10 chosen books will have changed at least 12 times. So here we go. But first, let's set the scene: I'm stranded on a desert island with my little kindergartners. Luxury accommodations and a cook are assumed to be awaiting us on this island :-). So, now, what lessons will I teach and what books will I use to teach those lessons? Here we go:

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear (Child's Play Library)Purple, Green and Yellow (Annikins)Chicka Chicka Boom Boom: Anniversary Edition

City by NumbersThe True Story of the Three Little PigsWhoever You Are (Reading Rainbow Books)

The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CDAmazing Grace (Reading Rainbow Books)S is for Save the Planet: A How-To-Be Green Alphabet (Alphabet Books)

The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book

What are your must-have books?

7 comments:

  1. Great job! Happy to know about your lovely blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I forgot all about The Wide Mouth Bullfrog! Loved that one...so glad you included it! Nice to find your blog too. I have several K teachers I will be recommending it to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Esme! I'm glad you enjoyed my selection. I love your blog too. I'm signing up to follow right now!

    @Book Maven: I know that books cracks me up. And please share the blog with many and all :)
    I love getting feeback from readers. And I enjoyed your blog too! Book Bloggers Appreciation Week, huh? Can't wait for that! Hope Hallmark has some cards ready for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post! I love reading about the favorites of others and why. I will have to check out City by Numbers that is a new to me title. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Johnson, Thanks for reading my post and I'm glad you enjoyed the selections. There's also one called Alphabet City!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have listed 4 of my favorites!! But then again, I have so many.
    Another great "Everyone is special" type book is Robert Munsch's "Stephanie's Ponytail." The librarian at my school presents it so well that now I've adopted his way of presenting (getting the kids to say the repeated parts and letting them shout it out) that it is always a big hit with my students.

    Another "Everything is not what it seems" book that the students love, the boys in particular, is "The Big Bad Pig and the Three Little Wolves." I usually read it after I've read "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs." Then we have a little "debate". Great ideas come from that every year.

    Thanks for sharing your desert island books! I think maybe I should make one too!! =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serena -
    Thanks so much for your comments! I LOVE Stephanie's Ponytail too. All of Munsch's books crack me up. I also love Alligator Baby!

    I haven't heard of the Big Bad Pig and the Three Little Wolves. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.