- Nearly a billion people entered the 21t century unable to read a book or sign their name.
- According to the 2003 National Assessment of Educational Progress, 37 percent of fourth graders and 26 percent of eighth graders cannot read at the basic level.
- As recently as 2006, more than 8 million U.S. students in grades 4-12 struggle to read, write, and comprehend adequately.
- Children in poor families are less likely to be read to daily.
- Across the globe nearly 171 million children could be lifted out of poverty if they left school with basic reading and writing skills.
- Reading aloud to children is the single most important activity for building knowledge required for eventual success in reading.
World Read Aloud Message from Kenya
10 Tips on Reading to Baby 10 Tips for Reading Aloud to Children
10 Benefits of Reading to Baby
10 Books I Love To Read Aloud